This is a sauce based on ‘Puerco al horno con salsa de chile ancho y miel’, a classic (if lengthily named!) Mexican dish. To recreate it, we use Mexican-grown chipotle & ancho poblano chilli peppers as well as honey, which has featured in the country’s food since Mayan times. The Mayans believed that a native stingless bee had been given to them by one of their gods and that it was a link to the spirit world. Honey’s been integral to Mexican cooking ever since. Enjoy this sauce with any meat, fish or vegetables.
COOK IN UNDER 20 MINUTES
NO ARTIFICIAL INGREDIENTS
Suitable for vegetarians. Non GM
300g fresh chicken strips
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large pepper cut into strips
1 small white onion
1. Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat and add pepper strips cooking for 2 minutes.
2. Add onion and cook for a further 2 minutes, set aside.
3. Add chicken strips to the pan, cook for 8 minutes turning occasionally. Check chicken is cooked through.
4. Return the peppers and onions, add sauce, stir through over the heat.
5. Serve immediately with warm tortilla, nachos and melted cheese or rice.