The perfect veggie alternative to pulled pork or chicken tinga. Here's how we make our mushroom tinga and serve in a cheesy toastie.
250g King Oyster Mushrooms
Capsicana Mexican Burrito Tinga Cooking Paste
Capsicana Mini Tortilla Wraps
1 Onion, sliced
50g cheese, grated
1. Chop the caps off the top of the mushrooms and separate from the trunks. Using a sharp knife finely slice the caps into thin strips and set aside.
2. Use a dinner fork to shred the stalks of the mushrooms using long vertical strokes. The mushrooms should shred easily, becoming stringy like shredded chicken.
3. Drizzle a little cooking oil into a large pan and place over medium heat. Add in the sliced onion and the shredded mushrooms (stalks and caps).
4. Fry the vegetables, stirring frequently, until softened (approx. 5-6 minutes).
5. Once softened add the Capsicana Mexican Burrito Tinga Cooking Paste and 1 tbsp water and mix well. Lower the heat slightly and stir often to prevent sticking. Continue cooking for a further 5 minutes until the mushrooms are piping hot and softened down to resemble pulled pork.
6. Heat a clean pan over medium/high heat. Drizzle a little oil over two slices of sourdough then place them oil side down in the hot pan. Toast in the pan and press down with a spatula to encourage a golden colour.
7. Once lightly golden on one side, flip the slices over to brown the other side. Once flipped top one slice with the tinga mix and the other with a generous handful of grated cheese. After a few minutes top the tinga slice with the cheesy slice and continue toasting in the pan on both sides until the cheese is fully melted and the bread is nicely toasted.
8. Enjoy your Mushroom Tinga Toastie!